Sunday, December 10, 2006

Writing Magic

I'm not sure why exactly, but I picked up a copy of Gail Carson Levine's Writing Magic: Creating Stories that Fly at the school book fair in October. I've never read Ella Enchanted or any of Levine's other popular modern takes on traditional fairy tales. Maybe it was that the English teacher in me wanted to take in the advice of a professional writer. Perhaps I was lured with my own fantasy of one day writing a book. Whatever reason, this how-to-write text has charmed me.

Though the audience for Writing Magic is kids who read and enjoy Levine's work, this book can be equally useful for adults who want to have fun imagining and writing. Each chapter concisely addresses a different topic valuable to the writer's craft and gives the reader a variety of suggestions to start writing immediately. That Levine discusses her own process in crafting her published works has also inspired me to become better acquainted with the magic that has made her a beloved author among children of all ages.

No comments: